Christmas is a special time for pets and owners alike. However, during the festiveperiod there are several things that could pose a threat to...

Christmas is a special time for pets and owners alike.

However, during the festiveperiod there are several things that could pose a threat to your pet’s health. These can either be poisonous, hazardous or even deadly.

Here are four of the main Christmas dangers for pets:

Candy canes

Candy canes are a prominent fixture in households over the Christmas period.

These items should not be consumed by pets for many reasons. Firstly, they contain xylitol,which can be dangerous, if not deadly when consumed,as it can cause a drop in bloodsugar and liver damage for dogs.

If you’ve noticed that your pet is having seizures, tremors or a loss of motor control over the Christmas period, these could potentially be signs that your pet has consumed xylitol and you should take them to the vet immediately. It is a good idea to compare pet insurance quotes, to ensure you are protected against any costly medical bills in the event of an accident.

The wrappers that candy canes come in are also dangerous for pets when ingested, as they can stick to their stomach lining, causing an intestinal blockage. The sharp edges of the sweets can also cause potential injury if swallowed by your pet.

Breakable baubles

Baubles and indeed most Christmas decorations can be extremely hazardous for your pets.

Sadly,our four-legged friends are immediately attracted to your Christmas tree due to the abundance of play opportunities for them. They’re particularly interested in glittery and shiny baubles.

As with all decorations, try to keep them out of reach of your pets as baubles are prone to breaking, and if they’re sharp they can cause harm to your dog’s paws.

Christmas ornaments made from string or felt are much less harmful for your pets, but should not be consumed all the same.


Throughout the year, it’s essential that your pet doesn’t consume chocolate.

However, at Christmas time there’s bound to be a lot of chocolate and sweets around your home, making it far more assessable for your pet.

It’s extremely important to keep an eye on what your pets are eating over Christmas, even though this could be tricky, when you try to keep up with a hectic holiday schedule.

If you notice your pet is vomiting, experiencing diarrhea, warmer than usual or suffering from seizures, then there’s a chance your pet has consumed chocolate, and will require urgent medical attention.

Blood tests as well as a physical exam will confirm whether chocolate consumption is the reason behind these problems.

If you did want to get your pet a perfect present this Christmas, you can buy specially made treats for them to eat. It is a nice idea to pamper your petwith non-edibletreats also, so you could give them a wind-up mouse, a Kong toy or a moving toy such as a train.


The fourth and final danger on our list is tinsel.

Tinsel is not regardedas poisonous, but it is still hazardous. In fact, it can lead to the death of a pet depending on how much is consumed.

Tinsel can wrap around a pet’s tongue or could even block their intestines, which on occasion can lead to abdominal surgery.

If your pet is vomiting frequently, dehydrated, weaker than usual or suffering from abdominal pain, then tinsel consumption could be the explanation.

Jack Delrose